The cervix is the opening of the uterus. This is the place where blood is released, where a baby comes through from one world to the other during a vaginal birth, where cervical fluid is released as a helpful indicator of the fertile window, and where one of the most potent & epic orgasmic potential lives. In this post we’ll learn a few things about this wondrous place and help you discover the power of your own cervix and why it’s important.
In the wider culture, I see the cervix mostly being ignored and forgotten about. I know I never got education or acknowledgement for this part of the body that now to me feels so sacred and like an integral part of my sense of myself. The problem with ignoring and forgetting this place is deep. It can lead to painful feelings around consent & penetration, pre-cancer cells on the cervix (ever heard of a LEEP procedure?), difficulty getting pregnant and opening to give birth, numbness & pain during sex, severe health concerns like cervix / uterine prolapse (where the organ falls down and possibly out of the vaginal opening), and more.
* As always, I invite you to hold as much tenderness and compassion for yourself in this exploration.
Follow these steps to initiate and connect with your cervix:
1. Close your eyes, place your hands on your lower belly, and envision your uterus sitting down into the center of your pelvis.
2. Imagine the bottom of your uterus, the small oval / donut-shaped, smooth, pink tissue of the cervix (this is where the uterus opens).
3. Notice what you feel, think, and any memory associated here. Whether it’s sex that didn’t feel good and pain lives there, a beautiful memory of a powerful and positive experience, or a feeling of tenderness about a medical procedure you’ve had, give your body permission to let you know what’s happening.
** If you’re really curious about what the cervix is like visually, check out The Beautiful Cervix Project and peruse their photo galleries. Some people love to ask to see their own cervix during their gynecological visits.
* If you want to touch your cervix with your finger, it helps to do this closer to menstrual time as the cervix will descend around bleeding time and pull upward / inward during ovulation time. If you find your cervix with your own touch and you can’t really feel it from the inside in terms of what this place “feels like”, that’s common. You’ll know when you’ve reached the cervix because it’s very smooth, doesn’t feel ribbed like muscle, and is more firm, kind of like a bump feeling.
Part of pelvic bowl healing work, if you’re interested, is to work with the cervix. Why would we do this? Because the cervix holds much power and wisdom. For example, one perk is that during a cervix / uterine orgasm, a chemical is released in the body that gives one a feeling of euphoria, connection, and peace. A lot of the time, the cervix is numb / tense and needs a lot of care before this can happen. Releasing these old imprints is definitely one of the most empowering and beautiful experiences of my life. The liberation is truly wild, ecstatic, and transcendent.
Curious? Have questions? Write to me! I love hearing from you. Until next time, with love, Alicia